Ahh, imagine yourself on a beach in Greece. The sun is shining gently on your face and the sound of waves crashing is so relaxing. Wouldn’t it be amazing to live like this every day? Well, you can through your diet! The Mediterranean diet is a heart-healthy way to live with significance placed on foods like fresh fish, olive oil, nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies. There are so many amazing benefits to the Mediterranean diet, chefs and doctors are singing its praises. Here are just a few of the reasons why we enjoy it:
- It’s all about olive oil. One reason nutritional researchers and doctors love this diet so much is because of the emphasis placed on good ol’ EVOO. Similar to salmon and walnuts, olive oil contains omega-3 fats. It also contains phenols, which are potent antioxidants which lower inflammation and fight free radical damage. We must also mention the high monounsaturated fat within, that helps lower LDL cholesterol, raise HDL cholesterol and lower triglycerides. Just be careful on how much olive oil you consume; a tablespoon clocks in at around 119 calories.
- It’s natural. This diet, because it is comprised of whole foods, is naturally unprocessed. That means lower amounts of sugar, and no unhealthy preservatives or GMOs. The diet itself, if portioned out correctly, will aid in weight loss and help keep you feel satiated at the same time.
- It’s Heart healthy. As previously mentioned, this diet is all about olive oil, which is high in omega-3s. Omega-3s is associated with lowering the risks of heart disease. It’s also rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which can aid in decreasing cardiac death.
- It’s cancer fighting. The cornerstone of the Mediterranean diet is fresh fruits and veggies. Produce provides antioxidants, protects DNA from damage, stops cell mutation, lowers inflammation, and delays tumor growth. All are good for fighting against the risks of cancer!
- It may help you live longer! Because the diet is rich in monounsaturated fats, thanks to olive oil and nuts, it has shown to help those that follow it to live a longer, healthier life.
Our meal delivery menu at Terra's Kitchen is based on a Mediterranean Diet which comes with all of these benefits to your health. To see our full menu and to learn more about what makes our meal delivery service different, click below.