The gluten-free diet has become popular in recent years, particularly for people who think they may be gluten sensitive. Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat. It acts as a glue holding foods together and helps maintain their shape. Wheat, barley, and rye are known as the Big 3 gluten-containing foods, but hidden sources of gluten can be found almost anywhere. This diet must be strictly adhered to for those with celiac disease or a wheat allergy, while those with gluten sensitivity can often tolerate a small amount of gluten in their diet.
By eliminating processed foods that usually have lots of gluten, you may notice that you not only start to feel better, but many people also lose weight. Fruits, vegetables, and other whole foods are usually gluten-free, but it can feel like you are giving up a lot in the beginning when you are making the change to this diet. Here are some of our favorite gluten-free products that will help you make the transition to a gluten-free lifestyle.
- Cinnamon Chex has been gluten-free for years even before this diet became popular. You can still enjoy this cereal from your childhood without cheating.
- Banza Pasta is made from chickpeas, which means it is not only gluten-free, but high in protein. You don’t have to ditch pasta dishes with this staple in your pantry.
- Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour is made from millet, rice, teff and buckwheat and can be used the same as regular flour in any recipe.
- Seaweed snacks might seem like a strange snack, but trust us, once you try these you will crave them. These are a low-calorie (only 50 calories per container) and low-carb treat that fits the bill when you are looking for something salty and crunchy.
- Almonds are a gluten-free snack that is full of protein and heart-healthy fats. They also help you to feel full because of their high fiber content.
- Edamame is a powerhouse snack that is a good source of protein, iron, and calcium. If you are following a plant-based diet, snacking on these beans will help you get the protein you need.
- Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Dressing sounds like it is going to cost you tons of calories, but there are only 40 calories per serving so you don’t have to feel guilty about putting this on just about anything!
- Tessemae’s Gluten-Free Dressing gives you tons of options so you never have to feel bored with your salad. The Lemon Garlic and Green Goddess are favorites around the TK office, but really you can’t go wrong no matter which ones you choose.
- Justin’s Hazelnut Butter is your ticket to making gluten-free bread enjoyable. This treat is also vegan and relatively low sugar for something so decadent!
- Glutino Yogurt Covered Pretzels make a great snack when you’re craving something both sweet and savory.
- Hannah Max Baking Crunchy Chocolate Cookie Chips are pretty darn amazing. They are crisp like a chip, but taste like a cookie. And since they are only 120-130 calories per serving, they won’t put you over your calorie limit for the day.
Terra’s Kitchen Meals - Our menu always has tons of meals that are naturally gluten-free. You can use our filtering to find them, but here are some of our favorites.
- Vegan Power Bowl is a meal that has both sweet and savory flavors from the brown sugar chickpeas to the roasted vegetables. This bowl will fill you up and power you up for whatever your day has in store.
- Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Salad is a low-calorie meal (at only 431 calories per serving) is also a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Sweet Potato Tacos are a vegan meal that is perfect for Taco Tuesday. We chose to use corn tortillas instead of flour which keeps the recipe free of gluten.
Check out our full menu of meal delivery kit options including many gluten-free recipes to choose from. Learn more about how Terra’s Kitchen works and get started today.